Starting a home based business can be scary. And, it’s not uncommon to come up with excuses that keep you from pursuing your dream of working from home. (I know because I had a long list of them when I started my home based business!)
- I don’t have the money. Is there ever a time when you have enough money? Most home based businesses start on a shoestring budget and grow from there. Consider the money it costs to launch a home business as an investment in yourself and your future. (And by the way, did you know that business expenses are tax deductible?)
- I don’t have the time. As the saying goes…Want something done? Give it to a busy person. Most people launch Homeowner Referral Network (HRN) businesses while still working a full time job. (I launched my HRN with a newborn at home!). If you really examine your day, you can carve out a few hours to get something started, especially if you love it!
- There’s too much competition already. Do McDonald’s and Burger King operate in the same market? The answer is yes! And, as far as the HRN business goes, online lead generation companies and national referral services pose no competition at all. If you have a proven business model and offer local, personalized and a professional service, you’ll succeed. That’s why the HRN business has lasted for the past 19 years!
- I can’t take the risk. I know one thing for sure….if you don’t try, you’ll regret it. When you look back at your life one year from now, ask yourself “Do I want to be in the same position as I am today?” You can either let your fear of risk hold you back or use it as fuel to do whatever it takes to succeed.
- I’ll be embarrassed if I fail. Join the club. Failing in public can be embarrassing. (Personally, I didn’t want to tell anyone about my business when I first started because I was so afraid of failure!) But, what I’ve learned is that you’ll be surprised at the number of people who will respect you for taking a shot.
And more importantly, you’ll respect yourself.